How To Keep Pet Hair Away From Couch Cushions
As a pet owner, you would know that it is not uncommon for your pet to have a strong affinity for your couch. In fact, your pet does not see your couch as a couch, it sees it as a very comfortable bed. All animals with fur shed a lot of hair and the sight of loose pet hair on your couch cushions is not a very nice one. It could even be worse for people who have medical conditions like asthma.
By the end of this article, you will learn a few tricks on how to successfully avoid and take out your pet’s hair your couch cushions.
Basically, there are two ways you can go about this;
- Getting your pet hair off the furniture
- Prevent shedding on the furniture
I will be discussing techniques on how to do this separately.
Ways to Keep Your Pet Hair Off Your Couch Cushion
Getting pet hair off the furniture
This is the most practical way of removing cat hair from your couch cushions and there are many ways you can do this. You can find the ones that work for you here
You can use a Lint roller
By rolling a lint roller over the surface of your couch, you can easily pick up loose strands of cat hair from the couch. This device can be easily found at your nearest grocery store. It can also be used on your clothes and on the pet itself because the adhesive is not strong enough to harm your skin., furniture or clothes.
This is another way you can remove pet hairs from your couch. Just like the lint roller, you pull the pet hair away from the cushion by using the tape’s adhesive. All you have to do is to flatten a part of sticky tape on the furniture, let it sit there for a while and completely peel it off. This technique could be time-consuming as you may have to do this several times to get all the hair off. It might not be a good idea if you are using a couch that is coated in paint. The strong adhesive may peel away the paint from the couch
Use damp washcloth
Using a damp washcloth, you can easily remove pet hair from any cloth surface. All you have to do is to wipe the cushions in one direction and the hair would lift off, making it easy to pick by hand.
Vacuuming the furniture
You can use the detachable hose of a vacuum cleaner on the surface of your cushion couch. Vacuuming might not work, particularly if you are using a robot vacuum. There is a high probability that your robot vacuum can get stuck. Click on this link to find out what to do if your robot vacuum cleaner gets stuck.
Prevent Shedding on your couch
You could also prevent your pets from shedding on your couch cushions (or at least minimize it). This is a way of avoiding cases where you have them shed hair on your couch cushion at all.
Here are some ways that you can do this:
- Cover the furniture: You can preserve your furniture by using plastic sheets. But it is a rather inconvenient technique because of the discomfort that would arise from the noise your pet might make while sitting on plastic. Instead, you can use an old towel. It is a better option because they can easily be washed and put away when guests come to visit. Also, some stores sell furniture covers made specifically made for pets.
- Groom your animal: Proper grooming of your pet can help reduce the rate of hair shedding, making it less stressful to clean the dirty couches.
- Train your pet not to jump on furniture: You can consider training your pet to stay off the couch. By being firm and persistent, you can retrain your pet to sleep on the floor instead. You would still need to frequently vacuum the floor though, as it would still shed hair on the floor.
Apply these tricks to free yourself of pet worries today, and you’ll be eternally glad you did.