Best GPS Cat Collars Reviews
Of all pets humans love to keep, cats are by far the most secretive and ‘adventurous.' One moment they are right in front of you and the next they have disappeared. While most often return home safely, one cannot help but worry. What if they wander off too far? What if they get caught in a tight spot and cannot get home?
For your peace of mind, GPS technology is here to the rescue. With this technology, even when your cat is not in sight, you always know of its whereabouts and when the need arises, can retrieve it with minimal hassle.
- 1 GPS Cat Collars Comparison Table
- 1.1 Whistle 3 GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor
- 1.2 Loc8tor Pet Handheld Finder Locator Cat
- 1.3 The Tabcat Tracker
- 1.4 Marco Polo Pet Monitoring Tracker and Locater
- 1.5 Smart Finder Bluetooth Pet Locator and Tracker
- 1.6 Fashion Mini GPS Tracker
- 1.7 TKSTAR Pet GPS Tracker
- 2 Important Points To Consider
GPS Cat Collars Comparison Table
|Product Name||Weight||Dimensions||Smart Phone Support||Pricing|
|Whistle 3 GPS Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor||0.96 ounces||1.8 x 1.4 x 0.6 inches||Yes||Click Here|
|Loc8tor Pet Handheld Finder Locator Cat||2.72 ounces||7.9 x 2 x 7.9 inches||No||Click Here|
|The Tabcat Tracker||6 grams||32 x 66mm||No||Click Here|
|Marco Polo Pet Monitoring Tracker and Locater||0.8 ounces||6 x 0.6 x 1 inches||No||Click Here|
|Smart Finder Bluetooth Pet Locator and Tracker||10 g||3.6x3.6x0.58 cm||Yes||Click Here|
|Fashion Mini GPS Tracker||65 g||70mm x 37mm x 20mm||Yes||Click Here|
|TKSTAR Pet GPS Tracker||65 g||70mm x 37mm x 20mm||Yes||Click Here|
The Whistle 3 is one of the latest technologies that have risen through the ranks to status of most popular and preferred courtesy of its quality and functionality.
It is an easy to use tracker and by far the most intuitive to put together and attach to a pet’s collar. The Whistle 3 makes use of several technology infrastructures including Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular and GPS. All these are designed to present you with accurate cat location.
The Whistle 3 app is easy to use compared to previous versions. The unit can be connected to a computer for effective data gathering.
Its physical design is simple and cool. It basically is a small box and could go unnoticed by you and the cat. It weighs about 1.25 ounces and is designed to attach to any the best GPS cat collar available on the market. Courtesy of its lightweight design, your cat will get used to it fast.
It is worth pointing out that this tracker can take a considerable amount of wear and tear. Regardless of how much running or digging your cat does, the internal components of the tracker will remain intact. The Whistle 3 is also waterproof.
This Loc8tor Pet is designed for cats. It makes use of radio tracking. The tracking technology is a combination of conventional radio frequency and several current tracking technologies. The unit receives as well as transmits radio frequencies that are on the 2.45 GHz frequency band.
It weighs only 0.175 ounces. The Loc8tor handset is almost the size of a credit card. The tag is protected by a splash-proof case and has a range of up to 400 feet with impressive 1-inch accuracy.
While this pet tracking does not feature any boundary or map alerts, it does send radio signals through walls and doors. These obstructions do, however, reduce the range. When in tracking mode, the handset lights up in different colors to signify the distance from your cat. Green shows you are close, Amber shows you are slightly further away, and red is too far. There is also a complementary beeping sound. The closer you get to the cat the faster the beeping gets.
The batteries on this unit can last up to 5 months. This is because it is only powered up when you need to track your cat. The batteries are replaceable and are available online. The kit is magnetic and as such can be mounted on fridges or any other metallic surface making it easy to locate whenever you need to use it.
This is a radio frequency tracker. It features a small and discreet tag and a stylish trans-receiver. Overall, it looks better compared to other cat trackers of its league. At 32x66mm, these trackers tags are possibly the smallest on the market. Their size makes them perfect for any cat regardless of their size.
The brand claims that the radio frequency based technology provides you with a wider tracking range and performance compared to Bluetooth cat trackers. The accuracy compared to GPS trackers is also better. Once you are in the range of your tagged cat, the finder will direct you to your cat’s location using visual and audio cues.
While its manufacturer claims the Tabcat will locate the cat up to 122mm equivalent to 400ft when behind trees and hedges, this reduces to 250ft. Setting up the Tabcat to monitor your cat is a simple process.
Switch on the locator which responds with beeping sounds. Place the tag to register close to the locator. Choose any of its four buttons the locator sports and press it down for about 3 seconds. The locator will give beep feedback once the pairing is complete. The tags will also beep and its LED light flash.
With regards to durability, this unit is splash proof and is protected by a durable case. It weighs just 6 pounds, is small and easily attaches to your cat’s collar.
This is an interesting, logical and simple tracking system. It comes well endorsed and is highly functional. It makes use of radio waves for monitoring, tracking and locating pets that are over 10 pounds. While this unit is not exactly recommended for use with cats, several cat owners have gone on record to state that the unit is a lifesaver.
The Marco Polo is designed to track as well as locate pets up to 2 miles. Once the safe areas have been programmed in the system, the radio waves will notify you when your cat leaves the predetermined safe zones allowing you enough time to find him/her even while in someone’s garage. The accuracy of this unit allows you to conduct your search on foot or using a car.
The unit comes in a set. This set includes handheld locator, a tag, charger, and guides. Though the system can accommodate three pets simultaneously, the unit only comes with a single tag.
With regards to its battery life, you will be pleased to note that it lasts up to 90 days. This unit features no subscription service and requires no monthly fee.
The one word that can adequately describe this unit is cute. The first thing to notice about this tracker and locator is its bright color. But while it is small and cute, this unit is functional and smart. It is engineered with an intelligent search function.
This feature reduces the chances of losing the tag. Once you get separated from the unit tag, the phone will ring or vibrate to alert you. It should also be noted that the unit is easy to use. With this unit, you can wave bye to the pain and trouble of searching for lost pets, phones, keys, wallets, luggage, kids, and bags.
Now unlike other trackers and locators, we have reviewed, this smart finder uses Bluetooth technology to zero in on your cat. The Bluetooth technology is compatible with Android 4.3 and above as well as iOS 7.0 or higher. Your mobile device should also have Bluetooth version 4.1+.
With the Bluetooth technology, the unit has an operating distance of 49ft. This is adjustable and can go up to 76ft in open fields without distractions. If the connection between the Smart Finder is lost, your mobile device is triggered to ring and alert you of the lost connection.
Last but not least, this unit is multifunctional and in addition to being a locator can be used as a pet tracker alarm, can voice record and take selfies.
This is a multifunctional GPS tracker that comes with powerful monitoring and tracking capabilities. The technical specifications of this unit are very high. It without fail follows the cat’s footprints.
The mini GPS tracker uses GPS technology to track the whereabouts of your cat. Once it has located your cat, it provides text feedback to your mobile device or if you please, can provide you with three-second signals packed with details of the full route and location on Google maps.
You can locate or monitor the tracker using SMS, via the internet or through a mobile app on either Android or iOS. The unit features real-time tracking, shock sensor, IPX-6 Waterproof, low battery alarm and a Geofence alerts.
This is a mini multi-functional and waterproof GPS tracker for cats. It is designed with the utmost high tech specification and has powerful monitoring and location abilities. This is a one of a kind device that allows you to track your cat’s footprint. This is one of the best GPS cat collar featuring a length of 42cm.
The device works on both Android and iOS platforms. Overall, the unit weighs only 339 and features a GPS sensitivity of 159dBm. This tracker can be used to track pets, vehicles, children, valuable items, the elderly and more.
Important Points To Consider
When choosing the best GPS cat collar for your beloved cat, you will want to ensure that you stick to the basic safety and health requirements to avoid not injuring the cat. Here are some factors to consider.
- The size of the GPS Tracker for Cats – How big is the tracking device? Anything that is larger than several centimeters around will most likely interfere with the cat’s head movements and make it uncomfortable.
- The Weight of the Tracker – Denerally cats are small pets. As such, they are easily weighed down. Strapping a taker around their neck will curtail their movement. Researchers liken heavy trackers on cats to humans carrying a bag of sugar around their neck.
- Tracker Functionality – It is imperative you countercheck that the tracker will perform the task it is designed to complete. This included locating your cat when it is lost.
Style and Aesthetics – This may not be a primary concern but nonetheless, is a consideration worth making. How does the collar look with the GPS tracker attached to it? You do not want something ugly around your cat. Only the best GPS cat collar with the best looks will suffice.
Tracker Durability – The device should withstand a considerable amount of wear and tear and last for a long time.
Where Do Cats Travel Throughout The Day?
Aside from helping to rescue the cats when they get lost, cat trackers shed some great insight on the secret adventurous lives of cats.
- Research conducted revealed that indeed cats are some pretty exciting animals to spy on. Many of the cats tracked tend to remain within a few blocks of their home. They never go beyond 100 yards.
- While they generally hang around home, they once in a while get the urge to wander off longer distances from home. One tracked cat went away to visit another cat. The spying session revealed it was more of a hangout session, no mating or fighting was involved.
- Another cat spied revealed something surprising and interesting. Cats can stalk prey for extended periods of time. They might end up not catching them but all the same, they seem to enjoy the thrill.
How Far Can Cats Wander and Still Get home Safely?
The exact distance varies between cats and depends on the terrain as well. But all in all, they surprisingly travel a long way and are still able to get back home safely.
- The University of Illinois conducted research to determine how far cats can travel and get back home safely. The research involved pet cats and feral cats. The cats were tracked using the Best GPS Cat collar for a year. During the study, pet cats did not wander too far away from home. On average they covered 4.9 acres during their walks.
- Feral cats (the kind that do not have families to go back to) travel even farther than home pet cats. These tend to wander from one area to the next but prove to remain within a specific range. The research conducted reveals that they cover a whopping 1,351 acres during their sprawls.
- What could they be doing during their adventures? Well, cats are curious animals. As such, they spend their days being nosy and searching for critters to catch. From time to time, they travel to mate.
What Are The Dangers of Letting Your Cat Roam The Neighbourhood Freely?
While cats are wired to move around, it is not always safe for them. Here are some dangers they are exposed to even with the best GPS Cat collar.
- Cyclists and cars – Regardless of how smart you think your cat is, it does not know or understand the rules of crossing the road. Additionally, they also are not aware that hiding/sleeping under a car for warmth is not a safe spot - they could be run over.
- Rubbish bins are not safe for cats – Cats love ravaging the neighbour’s trash cans. However, this habit could easily get them poisoned or getting deep cuts from sharp broken glasses and tin lids. There is also the chance of getting trapped inside the can and being carried away by the garbage truck.
- Cat disease, HIV, and fights - Cats often get into fights with dogs and other cats. These fights could lead to serious injuries and illnesses including feline HIV and Leukemia.
Track your furrbaby!
Cats can find their way home when they wander off. However, from time to time, it can prove difficult to suppress the desire to explore even further which most often than not, gets them lost. GPS trackers for cats are designed to keep you in the know of your cat’s whereabouts.
To choose the very best for yourself, you need to consider your needs, and several factors mentioned at the start of this article. Nonetheless, any of the above-mentioned cat trackers should work well.