Best Cat Food
Looking for the best cat food for your furbaby? Cats are one of the most common pets that we see in every household. They are lovely, fun to be with, and is a great companion. However, just like other pets, cats have their own needs and probably the most important one is their meals. They can be choosy and have sensitivities, so be careful and make sure to get the best cat food.
Cat foods are formulated to fit the different life stages of cats. You can find cat foods that are created for a kitten to adults and to senior cats. There are a variety of meals that may be created as specialized meals depending on the needs of your cats, especially if they have sensitivities. With a long list of options available, it can be overwhelming to find one that is best suited for your cats.
Pet manufacturing companies would go to the extent of formulating meals that are special and may be perfect for the condition of your cat. They are following philosophies and approaches, so you can have the best food you need! Regardless of the age or health, we can give you a variety of options to consider and determine the things that you need to expect before making a purchase.
Choosing the best cat food can be overwhelming, especially with the number of options to choose from. Each of it may have their own pros and cons to consider, and before you get started, make sure to have a better overview and understanding of the things that you should expect.
- Cat Food Comparison Table
- Taste of the Wild Grain Free High Protein Natural Dry Cat Food
- Organix Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Cat Food
- Nature's Logic Feline Beef Feast Canned Food
- Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Grain-Free Wet Cat Food Cans & Pouches
- Primal Pet Foods Freeze-Dried Feline Chicken and Salmon Formula
- Complete Health Kitten Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food
- ZiwiPeak Canned Cat Cuisine
- Nature’s Variety Instinct Freeze-Dried Raw Grain Free Nuggets
- Fromm FourStar Cat Food Gamebird
- Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Food for Cat
- Hill's Science Diet Adult Wet Cat Food
- Halo Holistic Grain Free Natural Wet Cat Food for Adult Cats
- Orijen Dry Cat and Kitten Food
- Purina Fancy Feast Wet Cat Food
- Nulo Grain-Free Dry Cat Food
- Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food
- Nutro Grain Free Senior Soft Loaf Chicken Recipe Canned Cat Food
- Honest Kitchen 4# Grace Box
- ZiwiPeak Canned Cat Cuisine
- Important Points to Consider
- Cat Food Brands in the Market
- Wet vs. Dry Cat Food
- How to Read the Cat Food Label?
- What are the Bad Ingredients?
- Quick Tips When Buying
Cat Food Comparison Table
|Nutro Grain Free Senior Soft Loaf Chicken Recipe Canned Cat Food||Chicken, Chicken Liver, Chicken Broth, Pork Broth, Natural Flavors||12%||5%||1%||Click Here|
|Organix Chicken & Brown Rice Recipe Dry Cat Food||Organic Chicken, Organic Chicken Meal, Organic Pea Protein, Organic Oatmeal, Organic Peas||31%||14%||3.5%||Click Here|
|Honest Kitchen 4# Grace Box||Turkey, Eggs, Pumpkin, Potatoes, Parsley, Chard, Cranberries||38.5%||34.5%||2.5%||Click Here|
|ZiwiPeak Canned Cat Cuisine||Lamb, Lamb Broth, Lamb Liver, Lamb Lung, Lamb Kidney||8%||5.5%||1%||Click Here|
|Nature’s Variety Instinct Freeze-Dried Raw Grain Free Nuggets||Chicken (Including Ground Chicken Bone), Chicken Liver, Chicken Heart, Pumpkinseeds, Salmon Oil||40%||34%||6%||Click Here|
The Taste of the Wild Grain-Free High Protein Natural Dry Cat Food is a popular meal that is being considered by many pet owners because it comes with real animal protein. It uses salmon, trout, chicken, and venison to give the optimum nutrition that your cat needs. It comes with amino acids that are essential for the overall wellness of your cats.
This is a highly digestible meal that comes with low Gl carbohydrates such as blueberries, raspberries, and peas. It is a well-balanced meal that you can serve to your adult cats. The fatty acids can help in boosting the skin and coat of your cats.
There is no corn, grains, filler, and wheat added, so it won’t cause allergies to your cats. It is made in the USA and is run by a family-owned company.
The Organix Chicken and Brown Rice Recipe Dry Cat Food uses organic chicken as the main ingredient and comes with high protein content. There are other ingredients added such as organic brown rice, organic peas, and salmon to help your cats in getting the right nutrients that they need.
This helps in offering natural sources of minerals, vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, and Omega fatty acids. It is a great and complete meal that you can serve to your cats. It also comes with organic flaxseed that helps in promoting healthier skin and coat, and taurine for healthy heart and eyes.
This meal is recommended for cats that are having sensitivities, especially with their stomach. It helps to promote healthy digestion and helps avoid other stomach problems such as diarrhea and vomiting.
Nature’s Logic Feline Beef Feast Canned Cat Food is a cost-effective and highly nutritional meal that you can consider for your cats. This is a wet cat food that comes with great moisture content and is highly digestible. It helps your cat is getting the nutrients they need while promoting a healthy digestion.
It is ideal for cats that are having problems with their sensitive stomach. This comes with animal protein and there are carbs from vegetables and fruits. This is a well-balanced meal that helps your cats with their development.
The meal comes with added eggshell calcium and animal plasma that gives essential minerals and vitamins to your cats.
The Weruva company is trusted by many consumers because of the quality meals that they offer including the Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Grain-Free Wet Cat Food. The Weruva Cats in the Kitchen Grain-Free Wet Cat Food is recommended by many pet owners because of its moisture content that helps in promoting the urinary tract health of their cats.
The protein and fat percentages are formulated according to the diet of the cats while they were in the wild. This meal features cage-free boneless chicken that comes with fish oil. This can help in promoting a healthy and shiny skin for your cats.
There are no grains; gluten, GMO, and other ingredients added that can trigger your cats’ allergies. It is recommended for finicky cats and has passed superior safety standards and quality control of the company.
The Feline Primal Chicken and Salmon Formula Nuggets are recommended for cats of all ages. It can be a well-balanced and complete diet that you can serve to your cats, and it uses chicken and salmon as the main ingredients. The chicken and salmon are raised without added hormones and antibiotics, so you can be assured that it is safe for your cats.
The vitamins and minerals are preserved in every bit of the food, so your cat will stay healthy. There is no gluten, grains, wheat, and corns used, so it will not cause allergies to them. The company knows that cats are naturally carnivorous and created this meal that can help them.
It offers a high level of protein and has supplements such as taurine for eye health, vitamin E, and other nutrients, to promote the overall health and wellness of your cats.
Not all cats have the same needs and being kittens can be the most sensitive stage for them. This is the time in their life that you’re required to serve meals that is really made for them. Just like babies, your kittens need extra care and nutritional food. They need the right meal that can help them to stay healthy and grow easily.
The Complete Health Kitten Formula Grain-Free Canned Cat Food offers a blend of chicken meat, liver, and broth that gives a very flavorful taste to your kittens. This is considered as one of the highly recommended meals and as it is a wet cat food, it comes with the right moisture content that can help cats in getting the hydration they need.
It is a highly digestible meal that is tender enough for the stomach of your cats. It offers the right amount of protein and fats that are needed by your kittens. It has low magnesium content that is essential in helping the cats with their immune and urinary systems.
The added taurine is also important for better eyesight and promotes the health of their heart. This is a grain-free formula that won’t upset the stomach of your kittens. It also promotes fast growth and healthy development to your kittens.
Is your cat already a senior? When they are all grown up and has passed 10 years of age, there may be more problems to cat owners. This is the time that they will develop problems on their body especially on their stomach and teeth. It is hard for them to digest meals as their teeth start to become weak, and you may need to change their diet.
The ZiwiPeak Canned Rabbit and Lamb Cat Cuisine are one of the best recipes that you can serve to your senior cats. This is a clean meal and known to have less odor in the litter box. It is a wet canned food that is highly digestible and is ideal for cats that have weaker or bad teeth. They can digest it easily and let them get the nutrients they need.
This meal comes with 92% fresh meat, bones, and organs that helps in nourishing your cat’s health. It is soft and has a great moisture content that your senior cats will love. This helps their entire body and system to function accordingly and gives them more energy that they can use in different activities.
It also features green lipped mussels that are rich in glucosamine and chondroitin for cats that have joint problems. There are no fillers and by-products added, so it is an all-natural meal and is healthy for your cats.
When you are planning to switch your cat’s diet to raw meals, you can start by slowly introducing meals like Nature’s Variety Instinct Freeze-Dried Raw Grain Free Nuggets. This is the simplest way to give your cats pure and raw nutrients that they need. You can prepare it easily as well. Just add water and it is ready to serve.
The nuggets are made from real food that includes organic carrots, cage-free chicken, organic peas, carrots, and organic butternut squash. It gives quality nutrients that help cats in getting what they need and avoid further problems.
It uses 90% chicken and 10% vegetables and fruits, to keep a balanced diet for your cats. It is made in the USA and the company claims to use only the finest ingredients available.
The Fromm Fourstar Cat Food Gamebird is a unique dry cat food that is recommended because of the quality of ingredients used. It uses duck and turkey as the main source of protein and it also comes with pheasant meal and quail that you can’t find in any other recipes from different brands.
According to past consumers, the Fromm Fourstar Cat Food Gamebird helped their cat in maintaining a shinier and fuller skin and coats. The cats are also shedding less and thus avoid the risk of hairballs, which is important especially if you have longhaired pets.
This meal can help in proper digestion and is available in a 5 lb. bag. It is quite expensive compared to other meals and is recommended for cats of all ages. It can be alternated with other recipes from the other pet food manufacturing companies.
When it comes to freeze-dried meals, there is no understatement about the Stella & Chewy’s Freeze-Dried Duck Duck Goose Cat Food, which is known by many cat owners because of the overall benefits and nutrition that it can give to your cats. The recipe is rich in taurine and is supplemented with other nutrients that are needed by your cats.
It comes with 98% animal protein and is sourced from global suppliers to ensure the quality of the meal and the safety of your cats. It is made in the USA and does not come with grains that can possibly trigger the sensitivities of your cats. There are also no fillers nor added hormones.
It’s a 100% balanced nutrition for them. Your cat needs raw nutrition and this company offers it to you.
The Hill’s Science Diet Adult Wet Cat Food is a new can label that offers great nutrition that fits the needs of your cats. This meal is recommended for indoor cats that need help with proper digestion. You can be assured of the quality and nutrients that your cat will get from this, especially in promoting healthy weight.
This is being offered in different flavors that you could choose from, so you can get one that your cats will love. This is the same recipe that is mirrored to the dry cat food that the company offers. This is best suited for cats that are 7 years old or older.
The manufacturing company claims to offer 100% satisfaction to your cats, and it can be the best one that you could consider.
The Halo Holistic Grain-Free Natural Wet Cat Food is made with real and whole chicken meat. There is no rendered meat to worry about making it safe and healthy for your cats. It does not come with grains and it is highly digestible compared to other meals available on the market.
This meal is formulated to maintain the muscles and energy levels of your cats. There are no artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. The cans used are BPA-free.
As the company claims, the Orijen Dry Cat and Kitten Food are formulated to be biologically appropriate for your cats and it is similar to the diet that your cats have when they were in the wild. It does not come with grains that are the common reason for the irritation to your cat’s stomach and trigger their allergies.
There are no by-products or rendered poultry meals added. This is a great meal that is trusted by many pet owners because of the quality and benefits that it can offer to their cats. It helps in promoting the health of their skin and is recommended for cats that are suffering from a sensitive stomach.
This is also made with fresh ingredients and can be convenient for the proper development and growth of your cats.
The Purina Fancy Feast Wet Cat Food is one of the best meals that is being considered by many pet owners today. This meal features a classic poultry and beef collection cat food that is offered in variety packs to keep the meal fresh and tasty for your cats. It comes with smooth pâté texture that can get the attention of your cats.
It is a 100% balanced and complete nutrition for the overall needs of your cats. It is available in two other varieties such as the chicken variety pack and seafood variety pack. The flavors are very appetizing and help your cat in boosting their appetite and to become interested in the meals that they eat.
There are essential vitamins and minerals added that helps to support the health of your cats. With this meal, your cat will not be finicky and get the nutrition they need.
As the company claims, the Orijen Dry Cat and Kitten Food are formulated to be biologically appropriate for your cats and it is similar to the diet that your cats have when they were in the wild. It does not come with grains that are the common reason for the irritation to your cat’s stomach and trigger their allergies.
It has more amino acids and the flavor is great for your cats. This special recipe comes with patented BC30 probiotic that is essential in supporting a healthy gut flora. This lactic-acid producing bacterium is responsible for proper food digestion, for regulating your cats’ metabolism, and promoting a healthy immune system.
The Nulo Grain-Free Dry Cat Food is recommended for cats that are prone to obesity, as it helps in managing a healthy weight. This is also appealing for finicky cats and is a common option to consider to avoid the build-up of tartar and plaque.
The Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Cat Food is created to fit the needs of adult cats. It comes with health five key indicators including probiotics and prebiotics, essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, healthy proteins and carbohydrates, and fatty acids making it a complete meal that you can serve to your cats.
The main ingredients used are chicken and turkey, which are rich in protein. It does not come with grains, and there is lesser fat content to meet the needs of indoor cats. It is made in the USA and has been trusted by many pet owners over the years.
It comes in a big bag that will last for a week’s worth of meal for your cats. This is a dry cat food that you can keep on your shelf, and let your cats enjoy every bit of it.
The Nutro Grain-Free Soft Load Senior Cat Food is formulated especially for the needs of the senior cats. It is a pâté cat food that comes with a soft texture that can easily be chewed and digested by your cats. It is not hard for them to digest this meal and get the nutrients that come with it. It is highly recommended, especially if they are already having problems with their teeth.
This meal comes with the highest quality of protein that is used in supporting the muscle mass and the overall wellness of your senior cats. This does not come with by-products, fillers, or meals that can possibly trigger their allergies.
According to the people who have tried out this meal for their cats, even the finicky ones will enjoy every bit of it.
The company is offering only dehydrated foods for cats. The Honest Kitchen Grace Turkey Recipe is a great meal that uses turkey and eggs to give the level of protein that your cat needs. It does not come with gluten and any other ingredients that may cause problems to your cats. It doesn’t have grains to worry about.
This is recommended for cats of all size and ages. This is high in moisture and can be a great alternative to wet canned goods. Some cat owners will prefer to give this meal as a treat to their cats or to boost the protein content of the usual diet that they have.
If you are in doubt about serving freeze-dried meals to your cats, then it is ideal to ask for your veterinarian and get professional advice on how you can introduce this food to them.
ZiwiPeak Canned Cat Cuisine Meal comes with 100% single-sourced beef that are grass-fed and free-range from sustainable in farms of New Zealand. This is a premium quality beef that is free from added hormone growth promotants and antibiotics. This is a fresh and healthy meal that would fit the needs of your cats.
This meal includes New Zealand green mussels that are a great source of glucosamine and chondroitin that are essential in supporting the joints of your cats. This is a limited ingredient diet and will not cause irritation to your cats. You can serve it to your cats without any worries and make them satisfied.
It uses bones, fresh meats, organs, and green mussels to offer the chunky loaf-style that your cats will surely love. It comes with high levels of protein that they need for the right growth and development.
Important Points to Consider
Selecting and buying the best cat food is challenging for cat owners because it is not easy to decide with the number of options available. All meals seem too good for your cat, and there is nothing to worry about that, as we totally understand the struggle in choosing meals for your cats. To help you find the right meal for your cat, here is a quick checklist of things you should look for.
- Protein content: The protein content is very essential as this is the main nutrient that all cat needs. As much as possible, the main source of protein of cat food is animals like chicken, turkey, duck, salmon, and others. You need to check the label for the percentage of protein added.
- Water Content: There are cats that don’t know how to drink fresh water or are not comfortable in doing it. It is ideal that you will find a meal that has good water content as it helps them in staying hydrated and helps promote better digestion.
- Ingredients used: You must check the ingredients used and determine if it is good and safe for your cats. There should be fresh ingredients used with a balance of meat, vegetables, and fruits. Check the first five ingredients added and it would be best if you are knowledgeable about each ingredient.
- Purpose: Meals are created depending on the age, size, breed, and condition of your cat. You need to make sure that the meal you are going to serve to your cats is made specifically for their needs. This is commonly printed on the label for you to check out.
- No additives: Not all meals are created equal. There are some that come with additives that can irritate your cat or trigger their cat allergies. Some additives that you should avoid are corns, soy, wheat, and high amount of plant protein.
Cat Food Brands in the Market
You care about the well-being, the health, and the overall life of your cats, but you also care about the money that you spend on them. The reviews are helpful in being familiar with the common meals that you can consider, but the key lies on the brands of the cat food. Yes, paying attention to the brand name can greatly help you in knowing if they are reliable and has been trusted by other pet owners.
- Blue Buffalo: They are a pet food company that considers the special needs of your cats. They believe that cats are your family members and they should be fed just like family. They are creating specialized meals that are appropriate for the special needs of your cats, and there can be a long list of variety to choose from.
- Hill’s Science Diet: The Hill’s Science Diet has been popular in creating meals that are research-based and scientifically proven to ensure the overall nutrition that your cats will have. Veterinarians commonly recommend their meals and they don’t use artificial flavors to ensure the nutrition that your cat will get.
- Purina Pro Plan: Purina Pro Plan has been in the market for years, and it is not hard to find their name in a list of highly recommended cat food brands on the market. They create meals for the specific needs of cats to directly provide a solution for it. They offer all sorts of meals to resolve issues such as urinary stones, diabetes, and others.
- Merrick: When it comes to natural and healthy meals, it is impossible to not hear about Merrick. They are known for creating meals that can help cats to fight off their sensitivities or avoid developing an allergy. They have a handful of available products available that you could choose from.
Primal. If you are planning to switch your cat’s diet to raw ones, then Primal has a lot of recipes to offer! They have freeze-dried meals that you can serve to your cats and help them in getting quality nutrients from raw meats.
Aside from those, there are also other brands that you can check out such as Orijen, IAMS, Royal Canin, Acana, and many more. You need to know the background of the company, check past recalls or any other issues they have encountered to know more about them and to be assured of the quality of meals that they offer.
The Qualities of Good Food
How do you know if the food is good for your cat? By now, you should already have a better idea of the right things to look for, but is it enough? Identifying the best cat food is not hard, especially if you are going to read the label, learn about the brand, and understand the different options that you have. To get started, let us look at the different qualities of the best food for your cats.
- Minimal carb content: While they are in the wild, cats may consume animals as their main food. There is only a small chance of them eating plants and it is not as important as the animal protein to the diet of your cats. The carb content should only be minimal since what it does is to just give balance to your cats’ diet and is not that necessary.
- Digestible protein: It is not a secret for many of us that cat food should have high protein content, but some cat owners may have a hard time in identifying the difference between crude and digestible protein. Many pet manufacturers are adding plant proteins and low-value animal ingredients to make it look that their meals are healthy, but the truth is, they are not. Always check the differences and get to know the most important one for your cats.
- It keeps cat hydrated: Our cats are used to eating meals that come with high moisture content and are not used in drinking water separately. Early cats lived in the desert and do not have a great source of water, so they get the water from their meals. Most of the time, domesticated cats need to be trained to drink on cups or bowls to keep them hydrated.
- No artificial ingredients: It is recommended to find meals that come with ingredients that you know well or those that you are already serving to your family members. Artificial ingredients are the main reason for their allergies, and it is not good at all especially for long-term consumption.
- Don’t have recall history: No meals are perfect, but you may want to find meals that don’t have recall history. It helps to know the safety and quality standards of the manufacturing company behind the meals you’re thinking of purchasing and determine if they have been complying with it or not.
Wet vs. Dry Cat Food
According to the experts, wet foods are commonly recommended over dry cat foods for most cats. This is because of the extra moisture content that is essential in helping cats to stay hydrated. The manufacturers are also required to meet higher standards for wet canned foods because it can spoil easily and need to be preserved properly.
The standards being followed by manufacturers are under FDA, which states that, only wet canned foods have the same manufacturing standards as to human food. This is important to ensure that the meals are safe and healthy for your cats.
However, dry food can also be a great choice as it is affordable, convenient, and still come with proper nutrients to fit the needs of your cats. If you are in doubt about your options, you need to be knowledgeable about these things and determine what best suits your cats.
Dry Cat Foods
Dry foods or kibbles have 10% water content and are commonly created with different ingredients mixed together.
- It is heavily processed compared to wet food.
- It is less palatable for some breed of cats.
- There is more carb content. It has less moisture.
Wet Cat Foods
Wet cat foods have 68 to 78% of moisture that helps cats in digesting it easier. The ingredients are mixed and sterilize to keep it fresh for your cats.
- It is less heavily processed compared to dry cat food.
- It has fewer carbs. It comes with high moisture content.
- It is highly palatable to most of the cats.
- It can spoil easily if left out for too long without your cat eating.
- It needs to be consumed upon serving.
- It can only last for a few days in the fridge once opened.
Freeze Dried Cat Foods
Frozen or freeze-dried meals are starting to get popular among pet owners because of the different benefits that it can offer. It helps in giving better nutrients to your cats and promote their healthy development. There are different freeze-dried meals to choose from, so make sure to check one that you can add to your cats’ meals.
- You need to prepare the meal before serving.
- Your cats may be fussy with this food.
How to Read the Cat Food Label?
Too often, the veterinarians and specialists would look at the nutrition label of a certain meal to know the benefits it has to offer to your cats, but many cat owners will only check the label and see the purpose of it. The nutritional label of a cat food can give several answers depending on how you would look and interpret it, and it is best to know how you can properly check it, so you can fully understand it.
The Purpose of the Food
There should be information about the purpose of the cat food. Is it for adult cats, kittens, or cats with sensitivities? It is important that you check and be sure that your cat will get the right nutrition that they need from the meal before purchasing it.
The Net Weights
The label of the cat food should also include information on the recommended serving based on specific needs of your cat. If they are overweight, there is a chance that you’ll be required to adjust the servings as necessary. The serving is calculated based on the age and size of your cats.
The First Few Ingredients
The ingredients are the most important ones as it helps you in knowing the content of the meal and for you to check if it is good for your cats or not. The ingredients are commonly listed according to the weight of it. The ingredients you should look for are animal meats, organs, boneless meats, and others. To know if the ingredients are good, then it should include those that you will find in your own fridge.
The Sources of the Ingredients
You need to be careful about the brand of the meal and the suppliers the company has. It is ideal to get meals that come with ingredients that are sourced locally. It lets you have assurance on the quality of it.
The Fillers or Additives
Are there gains, corns, or soy? It is recommended for many cat owners to avoid these kinds of carbohydrates. It causes inflammation, weight gain, and several problems with regards to controlling the blood sugar of your cats.
The Guaranteed Analysis
The last thing to check on the label is the guaranteed analysis. This chart will include the percentage of the nutrients added including fat, fiber, protein, and others. This would give information on whether the meal is best for your cats or not.
What are the Bad Ingredients?
With the help of high-quality meals and nutrients, it is easier to help your cats in avoiding the risk of having diseases, increase their lifespan, and improve the levels of their energy. As a fur parent, it is our responsibility to ensure those things. A lot of people will just research and check for the best cat food to purchase without knowing the bad ingredients to avoid.
You need to be knowledgeable, not only on what to look for but also about the things you need to avoid. It makes the process easier and gives you a better chance of getting a meal that is perfect. Bad ingredients are commonly cheap and sourced from unreliable suppliers.
They can be unhealthy, not only for your cats but for the environment as well. Poor quality foods may lead your cats to having various diseases such as kidney disease, diabetes, cancer, and others.
Some of the ingredients that you need to avoid are the following:
- Artificial colors and flavors.
- Artificial preservatives.
- Corn, Wheat, Soy, and Sugar
- By-Product Meals
- Rendered Fat
- Vitamin 3L
Feeding Raw Food to Your Cats
There are many cat owners that are starting to research and consider the idea of feeding their cats raw food. Cats are naturally carnivorous and eat raw meats in the wild, and this is not new to many of us. Their diet is entirely different from the wild and we need to provide something that is similar or close to it. Even though many commercial foods are great alternatives to consider, you can still feed raw food to your cats, depending on their needs.
A raw food diet is completely natural and can give you more assurance on the nutrients that your cats will have. This means that you need to serve fresh and unprocessed organs and meats to your cats. Some of the common meals to consider are chicken, salmon, and turkey. You need to include ingredients that have high protein content, as your cat needs it the most.
This diet can be free from BHA and BHT that are common preservatives used in many commercial cat foods. This is potentially harmful to them and might cause long-term health problems. However, there are also other things to consider in feeding your cat a raw diet.
- It will require you to prepare meals daily.
- Your cats will start to become finicky.
Quick Tips When Buying
Think about buying best cat food as buying foods for your family members. You want it safe and healthy and can fit their needs. With so many options available, you’ll find yourself stuck with a list of great meals that you can purchase, but there are a lot of factors to consider and help you in cutting that list shorter. For more tips, make sure to keep in mind the following:
- Do not compromise the quality because of the price. As a consumer, we are always attracted to foods that are offered at a cheaper price. Even though it can help us save, we need to check the possible effect of cheap ingredients to our cats. It may cause their life if we are not going to be careful.
- Have a list of the ingredients used and do a bit of research if there is one that you are not familiar with. Each meal is being formulated with different ingredients and you must check each one to know if it is healthy enough for the needs of your cats.
- Consider limited ingredient diet. Cats are the kind of animals that are prone to a lot of sensitivities, and the best thing to do to avoid this, is to consider a limited-ingredient diet. This kind of diet will only have 2-5 ingredients used, which makes it easier to identify the nutrients it offers and to rule out the cause of your cats’ allergies.
- Always ask for the recommendations of your veterinarians. You are free to decide for yourself on the meal that you serve to your cats, but it is still the best to ask the recommendations of your veterinarians. They can never go wrong on the best cat food that you need to purchase.
- Understand that this is a trial and error process. One of the first things that you need to understand is that cats can be choosy and buying meals for them is a trial and error process. You’ll be required to try different recipes and formulas to look for one that best suits them.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ve probably had a lot of questions in your mind and would like to find answers that can help you with your purchase. Don’t worry as we have prepared the frequently asked questions that can give the information that you need for your cats.
- Why choose a meal that is recommended for all the life stages of my cat? Cats may have different health needs according to their life stages. The kittens will require meals that have a high calorie and protein content that is necessary for their fast growth and development, while the adult cats may need meals with low calories to avoid being obese and other risks such as having sensitivities.
- Should I follow the feeding recommendations? The feeding recommendations are provided as a guide to help you, but this still depends on the size and age of your cat, or on their current condition. If they have special needs, it is best to consult your doctor as they have the knowledge about it.
- How to know if my cat has sensitivities? It is easy to tell since your cat may act a little different. There are some signs depending on the possible condition that they have. For example, they can go coughing and be sneezing nonstop if they have allergies on the meal that you have served.
- Can I serve human food? Technically, yes. However, it is important to train your cat in eating meals that are for them to avoid getting obese or getting used to other food. You can have treats to help them boost their appetite, but not too much. You need to have limitations.
- How to switch to a new diet? It is often hard for many cat owners to switch the diet of their cats, but there’s nothing to worry about. You can slowly introduce the new diet to them by making several adjustments and serving smaller portions of it until they started to get used to it. Give them a week to adjust and enjoy their new meal.
- Why you need the right food? Cats are like humans too. Giving them the right food help in prolonging their life and helps them in staying with you for years. It helps them to stay healthy and avoid the risk of different health diseases. It’s the only investment you need for your cat.
The Round Up
Buying the best cat food is surely a big responsibility placed on the shoulders of cat owners. We’ll be required to consider several things such as their preferences, needs, age, size, breed, and conditions. We need to get foods that are suitable for them and something that they find appetizing. They can be meticulous, but we still want the best for them. Don’t go purchasing meals in a hurry and think about the overall health of your cats first. That’s the most important thing.