Acana Cat Food Reviews
Across the years, Acana has earned the sort of a household name title in producing cat food that is renowned for its quality. Made from Alberta, Canada, customers are usually fighting over the last few stocks left every time – the biggest downside there is for a product as popular as Acana.
There are a lot of Acana cat food variants to choose from, and it shall be our goal for this article to provide Acana cat food reviews that shall help you pick which variant to get for each one of your unique cat fur babies.
- 1 Why Choose Acana Cat Food?
- 1.1 Top 6 Acana Food for Your Kitty
- 1.2 1. Acana Grasslands for All Life Stages Dry Cat Food
- 1.3 2. Acana Regionals Wild Prairie Cat & Kitten Trial
- 1.4 3. Acana Regionals Meadowland Dry Cat Food
- 1.5 4. Acana Pacifica Cat Food
- 1.6 5. Acana Appalachian Ranch for Cats
- 1.7 6. Acana Regionals Wild Atlantic for Cats
- 1.8 Should I Change my Cat’s Diet?
Why Choose Acana Cat Food?
Acana has gained popularity all around the world for its unique features that set it apart from other leading brands of cat food. Each of the many variants has their own things to boast about, but the brand is just generally very good. Here are a few of its shining features:
- 1. Quality tested food – Formula is drafted following careful research about what a cat really needs in its diet. Predominantly made up of organic, unprocessed ingredients which poses little threat of leading cats to obesity.
- 2. Fresh Meat – Fresh meat content with added vitamins and minerals that help your cats grow up healthy and happy. The Meat is processed the same day they are received – guaranteed fresh!
- 3. There are many variants – multi-cat households could surely find one variant for each of the cats! Helps improve cat’s immune system, teeth strength, and vibrant coat. Alatable – no problem making your cats eat this – it smells and tastes great (for cats).
- 4. Contains very little additives – The reason why cats cannot feed on human canned food when they feast on canned food for cats all the time is a number of preservatives present in human canned food. Sure, it's nothing for humans, but absolutely detrimental to the health of felines.
- 5. Variations – Minimum of three fresh types of meat for every bag of Arcana cat food which are low in carbohydrates, medium in protein, and absolutely gluten-free.
- 6. Easily Digestible – may even help reduce vomiting in cats that have food sensitivity. Trusted by veterinarians and veterans in cat care for the 35 years that it has been in business.
Top 6 Acana Food for Your Kitty
Acana’s Grasslands Regional Formula boats of the following fresh ingredients: grass-fed lamb, free-run duck, freshwater fish, and whole eggs. These regional ingredients are delivered to the manufacturing house fresh or raw daily and they are processed the very same day. This guarantees that your cat will be treated with nothing but the freshest ingredients in their everyday meals. As far as the formula goes, it's 75% meat, 25% veggies, fruits, and botanicals. There is absolutely no grain, potato, gluten, etc.
The only supplements present in the Acana Grasslands for All Life Stages Dry Cat Food are Zinc, Copper, and Choline, all important sparks in a cat’s diet. To top all these health benefits, this is simply so palatable that your cat will not have any problems transitioning to it from a different cat food, even from a different brand. Make the switch today and immediately observe the following improvements to your cat:
While the previous Acana Regionals product features ingredients that are from grasslands, this one boasts of meat from wild prairies: chicken, turkey, eggs, and fish. All of these meats come together for the most balanced meal your cat may enjoy. Low in carbohydrates and high in protein, the Acana Regionals Wild Prairie Cat & Kitten Trial guarantees muscle growth with none of the useless fat gains for your cat! We would recommend you buy the best automatic cat feeder with this cat food.
If cats have never been domesticated, this is the diet that they are most likely to be eating in the wild. Acana tries to keep the food they make as close as possible to cats' actual evolutionary diet. At the end of the day, you'll never go wrong with feeding your cat the same kinds of feeds it would be feasting on out there in the wild. Even finicky eaters are sure to fall in love with the aroma and taste of the Wild Prairie variant.
The Acana Regionals Meadowland variant features a healthy mix of chicken, turkey, eggs, trout, catfish, and a number of fruits and veggies. It has a lot more ingredients than the Wild Prairie variant, which means this one is less safe for cats that have food allergies. However, if your cat has a pretty strong stomach i.e. you never had problems with waking up to a living room full of barf, the Meadowland variant may be safe enough.
With a lot of different ingredients, variety in flavor is one thing that the Regionals Meadowland variant has that other variants lack. No worries about the freshness of all these ingredients – remember that Acana is committed to delivering only the freshest of cat foods by processing meat the same day that they are received. Even though there are a lot of ingredients mixed, you can rest assured all of them are in the freshest state.
Finicky eaters who want nothing other than fish in their cat diets would benefit the most from the Acana Pacific Cat Food variant. It is made from 75% fresh fish ingredients, 25% fruits and veggies, and absolutely no grains and gluten. Half of this fish ingredient component is fresh and whole; the other half is dried or oils. The entire fish component is deemed fit for human consumption. If you are curious, here are the saltwater fishes present in the formula: pacific herring, pacific pilchard, arrow tooth flounder, silver hake, and red stripe rockfish. This food is perfect and helps cats lose weight.
Protein and fat from fish are easily digestible by your cats, so you don't have to worry about indigestion problems anymore when you make the switch to the Acana Pacific Cat Food. Cats that frequently throw up may be relieved with a change of diet from chicken, turkey, etc., to a diet that is mostly fresh fish.
As mentioned before, a cat’s diet should be predominantly made up of protein for it to be considered healthy. Angus beef, Yorkshire pork, lamb, bison, and catfish make up the majority of the Appalachian Ranch formula. With a diet like this, it will be like your cat suddenly turned from being domesticated back to being the picky eater of the jungle. These are some of the best and freshest meats your cat could source protein from!
As any Acana cat food reviews will tell you, Acana is not big on synthetic supplements and additives. They do add a percentage of fruits and vegetables in every pack, though, which may be problematic for allergic and food-sensitive cats. Luckily, Acana offers the Appalachian Ranch variant in the trial size so you could feed it to your cat a few times first before finalizing the switch. If your cat loves land meat more than fish, you absolutely must let him/her try this!
Acana Regionals Wild Atlantic features a wild mix of New England fish and Fresh Kentucky botanicals. As for the fish ingredients, here is the list, so you could double check against allergies: whole mackerel, herring, redfish, silver hake, and yellowtail flounder. Each of these ingredients, along with the 25% botanicals, is carefully rationed to meet your cat’s dietary and nutritional needs without going overboard.
That being said, different cats still have different levels of tolerance when it comes to meals that have a lot of ingredients. Acana may keep their ingredients as fresh as they can, but if your cat is not accustomed to the taste and what it does to the body, then the change may still not be successful. Just go by your instinct or at least let your cat try it for a few days. Observe closely for any changes in the cat's mood and appearance.
Should I Change my Cat’s Diet?
With the sheer amount of cat food available on the market, it might be tempting to let your cat try a lot of them, even just for the variety. However, while the human species live for the variety, it is not so good for the health of cats. Varying their food every so often may do them more harm than good, so a sudden change in diet should only be implemented in cases of the following:
- Sudden loss of appetite. Vomiting/loose bowel movement.
- Change in mood and overall attitude of cat or constipation.
- Allergic reactions – yes, even if a cat has been eating one kind of food for how many years, it can still develop an allergic reaction. It is best to consult a veterinarian with any sudden markings such as rashes observable on your cat’s skin, though. You never know if it’s something more harmful than allergies.
Listen to your Cats tummy
We cannot stress this enough: Acana may be one of the best brands of cat foods out there, but if your cat doesn’t like it, then your cat doesn’t like it. Every cat is precious and possesses a unique need in its diet, so there’s no need pushing. If your cat does enjoy the Acana brand, then, welcome to a healthier, yummier world!